Friday, April 17, 2009

Pink Snow


I know, I know, enough with the sakura and cherry blossoms. Just one more, I promise.

We heard that there would be a fairly short window to see the cherry blossoms from the time they're in full bloom until the leaves of the tree take over and force the cherry blossom petals off. Two weekends ago they were in full bloom. This past weekend they started shedding. That was quick! I was told this was definitely something we didn't want to miss, and I can see why.

On our trip to Nagoya castle last weekend we lucked out with the weather. Lots of sun, and just enough of a breeze to encourage those stingy petals to let loose. The result is a beautiful pink snow. In those areas where there are a lot of sakura trees, the ground gets a beautiful pink coating - like the first snow only pink and a lot warmer! As we exited, I noticed one of the guards sweeping up some of the heavier petaled areas. Even snow that comes in the color pink brings with it back breaking "shoveling" work.

No comments:

Post a Comment