Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Putting the Scare in Scarecrow

It's just about time to start harvesting the rice in Nagoya. And the closer the harvest has come the more scarecrows have started popping up in the rice fields. Rice fields are very common, even integrated into some dense city areas. So, I have seen quite a few different types of scarecrows, known as kakashi (案山子), throughout Nagoya. Usually handmade, and thrown together with old Cd's or bright rags, you can tell they aren't put out for show. Whatever it takes to keep the pests away.

I gotta say though, this field on my way to work that absolutely takes the cake. These guys even scare me. I was half nervous just trying to snap their pictures!


That's right. The ol' mannequin head-on-a-stick trick. At least they had the decency to give this guy a helmet to protect him from the angry birds getting their revenge.

1 comment: