Wednesday, September 2, 2009

This One's Juicy

Over the past few weeks at work, there has been one particular part that has come under intense scrutiny during development. A plastic piece, or plate, that's part of the larger assembly.

Now, my Japanese is a work in process...I have trouble getting by using it in daily life, let alone during meetings or in the lab at work. Depending on who's accompanying me, who's talking, or how much I'm willing to try to focus the level of my understanding varies. If I'm grumpy and mad at the world at that moment because for example, no one's speaking English, that level gets worse. If it happens to be the day after Thursty Thursday, that level gets even worse. If it happens to be the day after Thursty Thursday and I'm in a foul mood...well you get the picture.

Anyway, a few days ago, I was in a good mood. So, when I kept hearing what sounded like, "Juicy plate...blah blah blah...Juicy plate...blah...blah...blah...Juicy plate...blah...blah...blah...Ne!?!?!" in reference to the afore-mentioned plastic plate, I decided to whip out my handy electronic dictionary and piece together what they were actually saying about a juicy plate. (The Japanese language typically borrows words from 'outside' languages, but they are pronounced slightly different based on the phonetics. For example, iPod sounds like 'iPoad-o', or jeans sounds more like, 'Jean-zu.' They aren't native words, but are adopted into the language as Katakana. So, it would be entirely possible that they were indeed referring to a juicy plate in this instance.)

Well, it turns out juicy, or Jyushi (樹脂), means resin or mold. It's still fun to hear about the juicy plate, but not nearly as fun when it's just referring to that little ol' resin plate!

1 comment:

  1. I give you tons of credit for doing your best to learn the language while you're there. I thought Spanish was tough...I can't imagine trying to learn Japanese! You'll have to teach us some fun words when you're back for the holidays. :)

    ReplyDelete