Saturday, February 7, 2009

Feel the Waves, Soothe Your Mind

I only wish I could sing that catchy phrase like the radio station itself does.
Radio-i is one of the main radio stations offered here in Nagoya, and once you've heard the station's call phrase, "Feel the waves, soothe your mind. Raadioooo-iiiiiiiii," accompanied by the soothing sounds of waves crashing on a beach, you'd be hard-pressed to get it out of your head, too.

There isn't a large selection when it comes to radio stations here in Nagoya. In fact, I'd say my choice boils down to two, Radio-i or Zip FM. There are 4 other stations on FM, but I think two are NHK (Japan's public radio), and the other two I just haven't had the patience for. So, Radio-i and Zip FM are the primary selections that I flip between depending on the level of excitement in the DJ's voice, or the random song playing. Also, I should say, a lot of the programs incorporate some English. Some parts of the day are completely devoted to an English jockey - who's kind of a weasel to tell you the truth - but it's English and it's comforting. The AM dial...I won't even touch.

Most mornings, I'd rather listen to my Podcasts. I've become quite addicted to the day-old NPR and ESPN Radio Daily, but I do try to share a little of my work commute with Japan radio. I'm not going to pretend to tell you that I understand what the heck the DJ's are saying, but I do think you can get a lot out of training your ears for the different inflections and tones of the Japanese language. Plus, as I mentioned before, once in awhile there's English thrown into the convo.

But the real reason to listen is because you'll hear some real gems from the past. Last week, for example, I rocked out to Chaka Khan's "Through the Fire" (song that Kanye West sampled for "Through the Wire"), Outkast's "Sorry Miss Jackson," and Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl." Plus they usually mix in some of today's billboard hits, some awesome Japan pop, and sometimes even English word lessons. Where else would I have properly learned about the word, 'Recessionista'?

No comments:

Post a Comment