Saturday, February 7, 2009

"よいしょ" ... Splained

I first noticed the phrase, よいしょ, pronounced YOISHO, while working with one of my Japanese co-workers in the US. This, of course, was before my wife and I started our 18-month journey working abroad in Japan. So, naturally, I had no idea what he was saying, or how prominent the phrase actually is in Japan. What he said, actually sounded more like, "yooissshhhhhhh," pronounced in a strained tone as we lifted a crate. When I questioned what the heck he just said (or grunted), he shrugged it off and said that it was a typical phrase more for older people and is used for any sort of strenuous activity - like lifting a crate. 'Ok...’ I thought, and decided I didn't understand. Besides, I thought, he's 32...that's not old...?!

Not until I reached the land of the rising sun would I fully begin to realize how popular that phrase is, and all the different ways it can be pronounced, groaned, etc. Moreover, in the process of training my ears for listening for such nuanced pronunciations, I have since adopted the phrase in the same manner. It is quite addicting. What started as a mock joke with my wife and amongst friends has quickly become, I fear, a habit.

Translating Japanese words is never easy. Often times words don't directly translate. Type in "よいしょ (yoisho)" on my translator, however, and you get "Heave-HO." No other random explanations that usually accommodate a translation to put it into context. Just...heave ho. I love it. That was the first piece of the puzzle. Then I started hearing various mutilations of the pronunciations. When I began to realize I was hearing this phrase, or noise, during situations you might consider strenuous, I began to understand these people were actually saying...yoisho.

After almost seven months in Japan, here are my top 5 "yoisho" grunts:
5) My boss grunting as he gets up from his seat. Usually it is a distinct, "yoisho" but said really quickly with an extra emphasis on the 'yo'.
4) The lady who works the cafeteria snack shop. I usually call my wife after lunch near the shop. This is also when the lady, probably in her 50's, is restocking shelves. Every time she lifts a box, there is a high-pitched, "yoooisho," where the first part is drawn out. I talk to my wife for maybe 5 minutes. I swear I hear the lady lift a box 5 times!
3) The well-established version from the guys who have been saying it for a long time. They've said it so long, and so often, that their version has become, "yosssssssssshhhhhhh." A long drawn out shhhhhh sound accommodates the strain of say, opening a door.
2) The, "this is way heavier than I thought and requires a lot of energy," grunt. The 'Yo' part is way over-pronounced, most likely because it's timed with the initial lift. "YyyyOisho."
1) My favorite. Awkward conversation? Meeting finished? Awkward goodbye? Give it the ol', "sssshhhhhhhhhh." No, not a hush. Sounds like one, but it really means, "See ya."
And on that note..."sssshhhhhhhhh."

No comments:

Post a Comment