Friday, March 27, 2009

Definitely, Lost In Translation

The global economy has been brutal, and I think I've touched on it a few times, but only to try to bring some light and brighten up an otherwise miserable time, especially because it certainly adds to the experience of living and working abroad. This week saw yet another shaking reality of the economy, and unfortunately, it hit a little closer to home. Our company has begun, like a lot of the other Japanese corporations in this recession, to lay off the temporary employees. Today was the last day for many of them. In our group, there was one person. I didn't know her that well, and her English was limited, but she was quick to offer help if she saw that I needed it. She was very friendly to everyone, and I'm sure her smile and upbeat personality will be missed.

Saying good-bye to a fellow employee on their last day because they have been laid off was a first for me. Certainly not an easy thing to do when you share the same language let alone trying to do it in terribly butchered Japanese.

Today, as I was packing up, I was reminded to say goodbye. Before I could think twice I was quickly, almost ceremoniously ushered over to her by the person reminding me. The following is what I believed transpired - an uncomfortable good-bye that was definitely lost in translation.

Okay, don't panic. What is it people say in these situations. 'Nice knowing you??'...no too rude. Be sensitive. Ugghhh slow down, you're walking too fast. Give yourself some time to think. Ummm...Okay. How 'bout, 'Thank you for your help. Good luck with your future endeavors, and I'm sure something is bound to come up.' Yeah, yeah that's good. Not too gloomy. Offers some encouragement. Now, what of that can you say in Japanese???? Shoot. Slow down dammit. Oh no, now she sees you're coming. Okay, quick. Think. Shoot...quick...ahhhh.

"Konichiwa," I say.
"Oh Mike-san. Hallo."
"Ummmm...Sappoto o arigato gozaimasu. (Thank you for your support). Ohh...and omedeto gozaimasu! (Congratulations!)"
"Eh," she says, "Omedeto gozaimasu?? Naze. (Why congratulations?)"

Oh great. You just said congratulations. What happened to the good luck schpiel? Shoot you idiot. Quick think of something else. But what? How do you say, endeavors??? Crap...okay try this...

"Shiawase desu. (Good luck and happiness)."

Good luck? Good luck?...okay see how that plays. Should probably say something else, but considering the circumstances...

"Huh, naze? (Why again)?" She says as she crosses her fingers as if to say, why do I need luck?

Ummmm...good question. Of course she doesn't need luck. That's not what you meant. She'll be fine, but how to say it? Quick! Come up with something. Wrap it up you idiot.

"No....ahhhh...that's not...ummm...what I meant was...Gomen (Sorry)," I manage to blurt.

Yeah, sorry works better. Okay don't make her feel worse. Tell her how nice she was to have in the office and you're sure she'll land on her feet. Wait, in English or Japanese?? Oh jeez...just say something and leave it be...

"Jyaa...Arigato (Thank you)," I manage to blurt and follow up with, "Yoshhhhhhh."

So apparently my Japanese needs some work. And things like the 'Good luck' sentiment, just don't translate directly. This economy can be brutal for a lot of good people, but I hope we can all keep smiling and hold our heads high like my fellow co-worker did in an otherwise uncomfortable situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment