Friday, March 20, 2009

Room to Stretch


Japan is well known for its mass transit, specifically the high-speed rail system. You might know it more commonly as the bullet train. The bullet train, or Shinkansen as it is called here, is by far one of my favorite experiences in Japan. The combination of the high-speed rail, local rail, and subways makes getting around this country incredibly convenient, and drool-worthy for those of us who are fans of mass transit.

Recently, my wife and I traveled to Hiroshima for a weekend trip. That alone speaks volumes of its convenience - weekend getaways are much more feasible due to reduced travel time. But the point I want to make here is the seating space. Look at this room!
Seating room affects me a bit more being 6 foot 4 inches. It goes without saying that planes are no cakewalk, especially because I always end up behind the passenger who is bound and determined to get the seat back to recline even farther than seemingly possible. Anyways, towards the end of our 2.5 hour train ride to Hiroshima, it occurred to me that the Shinkansen had given me yet another reason to broadcast its convenience. In these train cars, you can stretch for days, and recline almost 45 degrees without even coming close to the passenger behind you!

No comments:

Post a Comment