Thursday, June 11, 2009

Recycle Me Silly

It has been almost 11 months since moving to Japan, and I'm still learning all of the rules for recycling. I've almost got our home recycling down pat, although I had to be reminded by my wife last night that the delicious used floss I had just thrown into the bathroom garbage was actually "プラ" (Plastic) that needed to be recycled. Here's a photo of our main recycling center - makes for a lovely kitchen center-piece!



In all, we separate our trash/recycling into 9 different bins - plastic, metal containers, glass containers, plastic bottles (with the wrappers and caps removed), paper food containers (think cereal box), newspapers (that must be stacked and bounded), beer cans, burnable trash, and non-burnable trash (anything that doesn't fit into the aforementioned categories).

It certainly takes some getting used to, but I keep telling myself it's better than wasting away in landfills, especially the landfills that Japan simply doesn't have room for. Each city has different recycling rules and pickup days, but for the most part, the basic recycling can be found in any city and at any convenience store.

Recycling at work is a whole other set of rules, worthy of another post to itself, but let me just say, did you ever think you'd have to tear the sticky part of a Post-it note off because it doesn't belong in the paper recycling? It has a completely different bin to itself. And, oh yeah, make sure the remaining paper of that Post-it note ends up in the colored paper bin!

3 comments:

  1. The part that makes it better yet is that they don't actually recycle much of it..

    The pura, as far as I can tell is just high-energy burnable, and the burnable is burnable..

    I suspect that the "paper" one is also "medium energy" burnable, but I don't know that one for sure. They do actually recycle milk cartons, cans, bottles and newspaper though..

    ReplyDelete
  2. So floss is recyclable, but diapers are burnable. I suspect there is a lot more plastic in a diaper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They really don't recycle much of it?! That's depressing.

    ReplyDelete