Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Suntory Highball in A Can

Over the last few years, it has become quite trendy and more common to see mixed drinks in a 12 oz. can or bottle.  The huge selection today is certainly a far cry from the days of simpler choice between Seagram's or Bartles and James.  Nowadays, there are companies like Smirnoff who have taken pre-mixed vodka cocktails to a whole new level, or Mike's Hard lemonade who have the market on lemonade cocktails of all flavors virtually cornered.

The selection is quite large and growing.  Naturally, it will only be a matter of time - if it has not already happened - before the market is flooded with options, especially from the big breweries or drink manufacturers.

Personally, I normally don't go for these types of drinks as they are not really to my liking, but I just couldn't stop the childish voices in my head telling me how legendary this drink would be when I was in the store the other day...

That's right.  Suntory got into the game with it's whiskey and soda in a can offering.  I'm not sure exactly what it was that pulled me in like a tractor beam.  Perhaps it was the Suntory-Bill Murray connection, or maybe it was the mere mention of the word 'highball', or perhaps it was just the fact that it came in a can...???  I don't know, but I do know that I probably will never buy it again.

It was ok, but it reminded me that I just don't like sweet drinks.  If you're a fan of a whiskey highball, or any other sweet cocktail for that matter, then I can see how you might become a fan.  They're convenient and get the job done.  I just hope we never see the day when bartenders start serving these traditional cocktails out of a can.

No comments:

Post a Comment